Rehabilitation Program for Post-COVID Patients COVcheg
COVID-19 infection has affected most of the population through airborne, airborne, and contact spread. In some cases, it is asymptomatic, but often develops pneumonia and respiratory failure. Other systems, such as the cardiovascular and endocrine systems, are also affected. In such cases, long-term follow-up and recovery is required after treatment to prevent and detect possible complications.
Who needs rehabilitation after coronavirus:
Recovery from coronavirus infection is needed by everyone, regardless of the severity of the disease. However, patients with moderate or severe disease need more recovery. The scope of rehabilitation and rehabilitation programs will be different for each category of patients. In case of mild or asymptomatic coronavirus infection, it is necessary to follow the doctor's recommendations to prevent complications. At changes in a pulmonary parenchyma like "frosted glass", respiratory rehabilitation under the supervision of the expert is necessary.
For example, perform daily breathing exercises recommended by a pulmonologist, as well as aerobic exercise, lead a healthy lifestyle, control blood pressure, heart rate, take regular therapy for chronic diseases. It is important to monitor your condition by assessing the work of internal organs, respiratory and cardiovascular systems.
Only specialists will be able to properly monitor the state of health after a viral infection with COVID-19.
For this purpose we've got a new service - rehabilitation of postcoid patients where each patient will receive consultation of the pulmonologist with formation of the individual plan of inspection and rehabilitation.
Recovery after coronavirus is performed:
- Persons who underwent COVID-19 in severe and moderate form were treated for a long time in intensive care units;
- Patients after a course of treatment, with residual changes on CT or chest radiography;
- With a decrease in blood oxygen saturation (SpO2) <95% at rest or during exercise;
- In the presence of concomitant diseases (diabetes, hypertension, overweight, etc.);
- Persons with "post-COVID syndrome", accompanied by prolonged cough or shortness of breath;
- Persons with a long course of post-viral asthenia.
Goals and rehabilitation program
All measures are aimed at maintaining the normal functioning of organs and systems of the patient, returning him to a normal lifestyle. The main goals of the program are to normalize the work of the whole organism, restore physical activity, eliminate problems with sleep, stress, emotional distress associated with the disease.
In our clinic the complex approach to treatment, recovery of each patient is carried out. Specialists in various specialties - therapists, physical rehabilitation, psychotherapists, cardiologists, neurologists, pulmonologists will work together to monitor the recovery process, prevent complications, timely detection and treatment of comorbidities.
The duration and frequency of dispensary observation depends on the initial condition of the patient. Terms range from 6 to 24 months with a multiplicity of 1, 3, 6 and 12 months. A detailed plan will be made by a doctor after the initial consultation.
The program consists of two stages:
The first is screening to assess health status, decide on the necessary consultations and treatment measures.
The second is an individually designed physical rehabilitation plan taking into account comorbidities.
The scope of the examination for all groups of patients includes:
- dynamic supervision of the therapist;
- complex laboratory diagnostics, including enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for determination of Ig M and Ig G, coagulogram, general blood test, biochemical parameters (creatinine, urea, potassium, AST, ALT);
- electrocardiogram in dynamics;
- pulse oximetry, blood pressure control, exercise tests.
In the presence of concomitant diseases, the program includes consultations of narrow specialists: in case of cardiovascular pathology, a consultation with a cardiologist, additional examination methods (biochemical analysis of blood and ECHO of the heart) are carried out.
For patients with diabetes it is possible to see an endocrinologist, monitor blood sugar levels, in the presence of cerebrovascular pathology - consults and gives recommendations to a neurologist.
To improve respiratory function, muscle elasticity, conduct respiratory training. This is necessary for patients with prolonged cough, residual changes on CT of the lungs. Changing the depth of inspiration and exhalation increases the elasticity of lung tissue, the excursion of the chest. All breathing exercises are performed as far as possible the patient slowly and gradually with increasing intensity, complexity of maneuvers.
The patient must assess the nutritional status, body mass index, correct it if necessary. Psychological support is provided to overcome emotional lability and stress after a coronavirus infection.
The effectiveness of the rehabilitation can be assessed by several criteria:
- increasing tolerance to physical activity;
- pulse oximetry indicators;
- reduction of shortness of breath, cough;
- increase muscle strength and tone;
- reducing the intensity of anxiety or stress;
- improving the performance of daily tasks.
Coronavirus infection disrupts gas exchange in the lungs, oxygen transport function of the circulatory system and cardiovascular system. The process of their recovery is long, requires a lot of effort. It all depends on the initial state of health of the patient, the severity of the disease.
Compensation for lost functions occurs continuously from the first days of the disease under the control of laboratory, instrumental research methods. With a mild or asymptomatic course of infection, recovery takes up to 2-3 months, and with a more severe process takes more than a year. With timely correction and regular monitoring, the disease can be controlled, to avoid adverse events.
- Restoration of the functional state of the respiratory system.
- Strengthening the immune and cardiovascular systems.
- The influx of vital energy, increased activity and tone.
- Return to normal life.